Whistler Handmade Black Ink – Iron Gall Ink
Traditional Medieval ink
This recipe is offered by us
If one day somebody had told me that I would make me ink home-made, I would have probably laughter many, but today it’s my turn to make you laugh and to share this very simple recipe…
First, you need to sacrifice some tools and reserve it just for doing an another ink in the future.
The tools you need (Ban the plastic and reuse your old tools, the most are possible):
- A saucepan (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
- Une spatule en bois (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
- A strainer – Sieve (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
- A fabric in a meshing neither too fine, nor too wide on fit with the sieve. (I use Organic cotton fabric) (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
- A 1 liter jar (35 fl oz) (Buy ICI if you don not have one)
- A measuring cup (500 ml capacity) (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
- Some bowls for the weighing (Buy ICI if you do not have some)
- And of course a scale to weight the ingredients (Buy ICI si tu n'en as pas)
(Everything you buy on the link is no plastic at 90% – 10% due to the scale)
(Plase convert the grams and liter here if you need):
- Acacia gum powder – (13g) (Buy HERE on our shop and support our journey)
- Turkish (More tannic, Alepo gall oak) gall oak powder or whole gall oak (need to be reduced in powder) – (50g) (Buy HERE on our shop and support our journey)
- Iron sulphate – (11g) (Buy ICI on our shop and support our journey)
- Filtered water, rain/snow(boiled) water or demineralized water – (1,1 liter) – (700 ml and 400 ml)
- Clove essential oil (For the ink conservation, and its smell is so good) – (3 drops) (Buy HERE)
- The last ingredient, probably the best, is you! – (100%)
- Also you may buy a starter kit with glass dip pen included (Coming soon)
- And my already handmade Whistler Ink (Buy ICI on our shop and support our journey)
Please respect the recipe if you would like a perfect ink…
(Everything you buy in our shop is Natural. Handamde, with organic or green products, Zero Waste with a compostable packaging)
- First Step: the gall oak, reduce the gall oak in powder (50g) or weigh the ready to use powder
- Second Step: put the gall oak powder in a part of the cold water (700ml)
- Third Step: Cook over low heat (1 hour to 2 hours) – Do not evaporate too much water (Max 2/4). Stir with the spatula sometimes and before pour. Meanwhile, dissolve 11g of iron sulfate in (400 ml) of rain/snow(boiled) water or demineralized.
- Fourth step: After that you will filter your preparation. For this place a fabric on a stainer and gently pour your decoction.
- Fifth step: Weigh 13 g of whole acacia gum and pour it into a grinder to grind it, or crumble it with a fabric and a hammer. There is also ready to use acacia powder.
- Sixth step: Pour your acacia gum powder into your gall nut decoction and continue to heat your mixture. Pour it little by little. Without this precaution, gum arabic may make lumps.
- Acacia gum dissolves faster in a hot preparation, but it could have been dissolved beforehand in a little water.
- Seventh step: After dissolving 11 g of iron sulphate in the remaining (400 ml) of water, pour it into a decoction. It only remains to add 3 drops of clove oil.
- We get a slightly bluish ink that becomes black in the air when it oxidizes. It also becomes insoluble in water. Let it decant for several days, then pack it in that you in the jar that you will fill, taking care to leave a little air.Be careful, it’s a totally indelible ink that works a lot.
Another recipe that I like (Same process):
You may find all the ingredients in our shop exept the essential oil, I recommend DIVINE ESSENCE for the large Organic choice, and the spirit of the company.
- Turkish (More tannic, Alepo gall oak) gall oak powder or whole gall oak (need to be reduced in powder) – 20g
- Acacia gum powder – 20g
- Iron sulphate – 12g
- Filtered water, rain/snow(boiled) water or demineralized water – 1,2 liter (1 liter for the Alepo gal decoction and 200ml for the iron dissolving)
- Clove essential oil (For the ink conservation) – 3 drop
- Any other essentail oil (For your own ink fragrance) – 2 drop max
Let me know if you have another recipe or if you like this one. Do not forget to share your love with a letter, you may change the day to somebody with a letter between two invoices. Thanks Zazous for your reading time and see you there for a new tips, tricks or recipes.